From the very beginning of the show, their outfits have been mirrors. When both women are oppressed and weak in the show’s earlier seasons, they’re dressed in loose pastel clothing signaling their lack of power. As their plots become more complicated, they don “survival camouflage” — clothes used to mask secrets and blend in with surrounding enemies. And when Cersei and Sansa begin to assert the power of their houses in later seasons, Lannister lions and Stark wolves become the focal point of their clothes.
In the show’s final season, the costume design for both women defaults to military-style accents on their gowns as they prep for battle. Those high-necked dresses evoke images of each family’s armor, full of defensive details like epaulets and draped chains. And while both leaders have learned different lessons about war and family, it’s safe to say their outfit parallels are there for a reason.
Most news outlets make their money through advertising or subscriptions. But when it comes to what we’re trying to do at Vox, there are a couple of big issues with relying on ads and subscriptions to keep the lights on:
First, advertising dollars go up and down with the economy. We often only know a few months out what our advertising revenue will be, which makes it hard to plan ahead.
Second, we’re not in the subscriptions business. Vox is here to help everyone understand the complex issues shaping the world — not just the people who can afford to pay for a subscription. We believe that’s an important part of building a more equal society. And we can’t do that if we have a paywall.
So even though advertising is still our biggest source of revenue, we also seek grants and reader support. (And no matter how our work is funded, we have strict guidelines on editorial independence.)
If you also believe that everyone deserves access to trusted high-quality information, will you make a gift to Vox today? Any amount helps.
- Dothraki spoken here
- Game of Thrones tourism is wildly popular — and not just because the show is a hit
- The evolution of Sansa Stark, explained by her costumes
- How Arya and Sansa played the game of gender politics and won
- Why do we need Game of Thrones Oreos, makeup, and Mountain Dew?
- This Targaryen family tree helps explain the confusing Aegon/Jon Snow reveal
- Game of Thrones won’t be the last TV show everyone cares about
- R+L=J: a comprehensive oral history of this ultimate fan theory
- Game of Thrones’ Mad Queen theory, explained
- Episode 1: Winterfell 4
Episode 2: A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms
- 8 winners and 4 losers from Game of Thrones’ terrific “A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms”
- Why Arya’s Game of Thrones sex scene was a perfect character evolution
- Game of Thrones season 8, episode 2: Podrick’s song, explained
- Bran knows Jaime should live on Game of Thrones. He also isn’t above a savage burn.
Episode 3: The Long Night
- Who died in Game of Thrones’ Battle of Winterfell, and who survived: the full list
- 6 winners and 6 losers from Game of Thrones’ biggest battle yet
- Melisandre’s return to Game of Thrones, explained
- The biggest death in Game of Thrones’ Battle of Winterfell, explained
- Game of Thrones’ Battle of Winterfell was less deadly than expected. Good.
Episode 4: The Last of the Starks
- 4 winners and 6 losers from Game of Thrones’ disappointing “The Last of the Starks”
- Game of Thrones’ Missandei controversy, explained
- Game of Thrones: how Euron Greyjoy evened up Cersei’s war against Daenerys
- The political science of why Game of Thrones’ Daenerys may be a terrible queen
- Game of Thrones is spending its last hours ruining Daenerys Targaryen
- Why Game of Thrones fans are outraged over the show’s treatment of Ghost
- How an errant Starbucks cup became a metaphor for Game of Thrones season 8
- Game of Thrones still can’t figure out what it wants to say about trauma
- Game of Thrones’ dark turn for Daenerys has been long in the making
- Game of Thrones’ director tried to explain what happened with Ghost. It didn’t help.
Episode 5: The Bells
- Who died in Game of Thrones’ battle of King’s Landing, and who survived: the full list
- 4 winners and 10 losers from Game of Thrones’ next-to-last episode, “The Bells”
- Game of Thrones says goodbye to two of its biggest characters, badly
- Game of Thrones: does Arya’s “green eyes” prophecy mean she’ll kill Daenerys?
- Game of Thrones’ long-awaited Cleganebowl, explained
- Game of Thrones’ series finale preview teases one final fight
- Game of Thrones’ King’s Landing horror fittingly reveals what the show has always been about
- How Game of Thrones did Daenerys wrong
- A petition to remake Game of Thrones’ 8th season offers a revealing glimpse of wider fandom backlash
Episode 6: The Iron Throne
- Who won the Game of Thrones — and why it matters — explained
- 5 winners and 9 losers from Game of Thrones’ series finale
- Where the Game of Thrones series finale left every major character
- 20 lingering questions about the Game of Thrones series finale
- The Game of Thrones finale had a chance to break the wheel. It upheld the status quo.
- Game of Thrones’ finale betrayed the show’s core themes
- Game of Thrones’ finale revealed Jon and Dany’s story was a tragic one
- Game of Thrones’ finale had another on-set snafu: plastic water bottles
- Game of Thrones finally acknowledged Ghost as the very good dog he is
- There’s hope for a better Game of Thrones ending in George R.R. Martin’s books
- The Winds of Winter, explained: what we know about the next Game of Thrones book
- Game of Thrones fans are giving Brienne the ending she deserved
- What Sansa Stark’s coronation hairstyle says about her character development
- HBO’s Game of Thrones prequel series and spinoffs: everything we know so far
- Of course there’s going to be another Game of Thrones-size hit
Sign up for the newsletter Sentences
The day's most important news stories, explained in your inbox.