The Douglas County Sheriff’s Office in Colorado reported five deputies were shot, one of them killed, in a shooting on Sunday. The suspect was shot and is believed to be dead as well.
According to the sheriff’s office’s Facebook page, officers responded to a domestic disturbance call at an apartment complex south of Denver early Sunday morning. In a tweet, the office confirmed that five deputies were shot in responding to the call, and one of them was confirmed to be deceased. Two civilians were also shot by the suspect.
The suspect is believed to be dead and no longer a threat.
What we know
- Deputies were responding to a call of a domestic disturbance at 5:13 am at the Copper Canyon Apartments in Highlands Ranch, Colorado, about 15 miles south of Denver.
- Five deputies were shot, and one was confirmed dead. Two civilians were shot. The suspect was shot and is believed to be dead and no longer a threat.
**Copper Canyon OIS Update**- Deputies responded to a domestic disturbance resulting in shots fired. 5 deputies shot by suspect. 1 deputy confirmed deceased. 2 civilians also shot by suspect. Suspect shot & believed to be dead & no longer a threat. #CopperCanyonOIS— DC Sheriff (@dcsheriff) December 31, 2017
- Deputy Jason Blanchard said in a phone interview with the New York Times on Sunday that there were “multiple officers down.”
- The sheriff’s office issued a “code red” regarding the incident and advised those in the area to shelter in place, avoid windows, and stay away from exterior walls.
A Code Red was sent out regarding this incident. Any citizens in the affected area are instructed to shelter in place, avoid windows and stay away from exterior walls. pic.twitter.com/RgutCEqgJA— DC Sheriff (@dcsheriff) December 31, 2017
UPDATE, we have multiple deputies down, no update on their status. The scene remains active and please avoid the area.— DC Sheriff (@dcsheriff) December 31, 2017
UPDATE 0513 this morning deputies responded to he Copper Canyon Apartments for a Domestic Disturbance. During the Investigation, shots were fired and multiple deputies were injured. No status on the deputies and no status on civilian injuries. Please avoid this area.— DC Sheriff (@dcsheriff) December 31, 2017
- A motorcade for the fallen deputy took place from a local hospital.
- The slain deputy was Zack Parrish, a 29-year-old father of two.
- President Donald Trump tweeted his condolences to the victims and their families on Sunday afternoon.
My deepest condolences to the victims of the terrible shooting in Douglas County @DCSheriff, and their families. We love our police and law enforcement - God Bless them all! #LESM— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 31, 2017
- The suspect was identified as 37-year-old Matthew Riehl.
- The apartment complex is about 10 miles from Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado, where two students killed 12 students and one teacher in a shooting in 1999.
There have been multiple major shooting incidents in 2017, including in Las Vegas, where 58 people were killed at an outdoor concert in October, and in Sutherland Springs, Texas, where 26 people were killed at a church.