Game of Thrones season eight, episode six will be the show’s series finale. The trailer for it doesn’t reveal a lot — but it does suggest that there will be a reckoning for the events of episode five, “The Bells.”
First things first: Spoilers follow below.
The episode six teaser confirms that at least three major characters — Arya, Daenerys, and Tyrion — survived the destruction of King’s Landing, as it focuses on them walking around in the ashes (Jon, Davos, and Grey Worm aren’t shown, but they likely survived as well). The trailer is washed over with a dark blue tone and ash falling like snow; it has an almost wintry feel to it, as if a terrible kind of winter has come to King’s Landing.
Tyrion appears horrified at what he sees in the city. Arya looks ready to turn on Dany — the trailer shows her standing by some Unsullied with murder in her eyes. And Daenerys seems unwaveringly regal, walking between lines of her soldiers as if she’s proud of the massacre she just committed. There’s also a shot of Dothraki cheering, as if they too are happy with what’s just happened.
Everything we see suggests that Game of Thrones’ series finale will focus on the divide created by Daenerys’s actions in the penultimate episode, with most of the main characters seemingly turning against her in horror, and the warriors who crossed the Narrow Sea with her standing by her side. The conflict is no longer Starks versus Lannisters or humans versus undead, but rather our surviving heroes versus Daenerys Targaryen, the Mad Queen.
At Vox, we believe that clarity is power, and that power shouldn’t only be available to those who can afford to pay. That’s why we keep our work free. Millions rely on Vox’s clear, high-quality journalism to understand the forces shaping today’s world. Support our mission and help keep Vox free for all by making a financial contribution to Vox today.
- How Game of Thrones uses costume design to show power
- Dothraki spoken here
- Game of Thrones tourism is wildly popular — and not just because the show is a hit
- The evolution of Sansa Stark, explained by her costumes
- How Arya and Sansa played the game of gender politics and won
- Why do we need Game of Thrones Oreos, makeup, and Mountain Dew?
- This Targaryen family tree helps explain the confusing Aegon/Jon Snow reveal
- Game of Thrones won’t be the last TV show everyone cares about
- R+L=J: a comprehensive oral history of this ultimate fan theory
- Game of Thrones’ Mad Queen theory, explained
- Episode 1: Winterfell 4
Episode 2: A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms
- 8 winners and 4 losers from Game of Thrones’ terrific “A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms”
- Why Arya’s Game of Thrones sex scene was a perfect character evolution
- Game of Thrones season 8, episode 2: Podrick’s song, explained
- Bran knows Jaime should live on Game of Thrones. He also isn’t above a savage burn.
Episode 3: The Long Night
- Who died in Game of Thrones’ Battle of Winterfell, and who survived: the full list
- 6 winners and 6 losers from Game of Thrones’ biggest battle yet
- Melisandre’s return to Game of Thrones, explained
- The biggest death in Game of Thrones’ Battle of Winterfell, explained
- Game of Thrones’ Battle of Winterfell was less deadly than expected. Good.
Episode 4: The Last of the Starks
- 4 winners and 6 losers from Game of Thrones’ disappointing “The Last of the Starks”
- Game of Thrones’ Missandei controversy, explained
- Game of Thrones: how Euron Greyjoy evened up Cersei’s war against Daenerys
- The political science of why Game of Thrones’ Daenerys may be a terrible queen
- Game of Thrones is spending its last hours ruining Daenerys Targaryen
- Why Game of Thrones fans are outraged over the show’s treatment of Ghost
- How an errant Starbucks cup became a metaphor for Game of Thrones season 8
- Game of Thrones still can’t figure out what it wants to say about trauma
- Game of Thrones’ dark turn for Daenerys has been long in the making
- Game of Thrones’ director tried to explain what happened with Ghost. It didn’t help.
Episode 5: The Bells
- Who died in Game of Thrones’ battle of King’s Landing, and who survived: the full list
- 4 winners and 10 losers from Game of Thrones’ next-to-last episode, “The Bells”
- Game of Thrones says goodbye to two of its biggest characters, badly
- Game of Thrones: does Arya’s “green eyes” prophecy mean she’ll kill Daenerys?
- Game of Thrones’ long-awaited Cleganebowl, explained
- Game of Thrones’ King’s Landing horror fittingly reveals what the show has always been about
- How Game of Thrones did Daenerys wrong
- A petition to remake Game of Thrones’ 8th season offers a revealing glimpse of wider fandom backlash
Episode 6: The Iron Throne
- Who won the Game of Thrones — and why it matters — explained
- 5 winners and 9 losers from Game of Thrones’ series finale
- Where the Game of Thrones series finale left every major character
- 20 lingering questions about the Game of Thrones series finale
- The Game of Thrones finale had a chance to break the wheel. It upheld the status quo.
- Game of Thrones’ finale betrayed the show’s core themes
- Game of Thrones’ finale revealed Jon and Dany’s story was a tragic one
- Game of Thrones’ finale had another on-set snafu: plastic water bottles
- Game of Thrones finally acknowledged Ghost as the very good dog he is
- There’s hope for a better Game of Thrones ending in George R.R. Martin’s books
- The Winds of Winter, explained: what we know about the next Game of Thrones book
- Game of Thrones fans are giving Brienne the ending she deserved
- What Sansa Stark’s coronation hairstyle says about her character development
- HBO’s Game of Thrones prequel series and spinoffs: everything we know so far
- Of course there’s going to be another Game of Thrones-size hit
Sign up for the newsletter Today, Explained
Understand the world with a daily explainer plus the most compelling stories of the day.