clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Recode Daily: Top tech leaders trekked to the Trump White House to help bring the federal bureaucracy up to digital speed

Plus, the FTC will block the FanDuel/DraftKings merger, and imagining Jeff Bezos’s email to employees about buying Whole Foods.

Chip Somodevilla / Getty Images

The bosses of Apple, Amazon, Google, Microsoft and other tech giants had a day of meetings with President Trump in the White House. At the inaugural meeting of the administration’s American Technology Council, convened by Trump adviser and son-in-law Jared Kushner, Trump said he wants a “sweeping transformation” of government; the tech leaders, including Jeff Bezos and Tim Cook, had a few requests of their own. [Tony Romm / Recode]

U.S. regulators will try to block the proposed merger of FanDuel and DraftKings. The FTC has antitrust concerns — the combined companies would take up to 90 percent of the market and reduce competition between the rivals. [Tony Romm / Recode]

Vice Media raised $450 million from private equity firm TPG, boosting the media company’s valuation to $5.7 billion. A year ago, most of the media world — including Vice CEO Shane Smith — assumed Disney would buy the company. That’s not happening. [Natalie Jarvey / The Hollywood Reporter]

“Skinny bundle” TV startup FuboTV raised another $55 million for its service, which offers slimmed-down packages of TV channels. And Time Warner signed a two-year, $100 million deal with Snap; the studio will create up to 10 original shows a year for Snap, which will keep half of the ad revenue. [Peter Kafka / Recode]

Stitch Fix has hired a new CFO from the parent company of Method soap — an IPO probably comes next. And Bali Raghavan, an Amazon exec who was leading the company’s cashierless “store of the future” has left to join the real estate startup Opendoor; the downtown Seattle prototype shop still hasn’t opened to the public. [Jason Del Rey / Recode]

Top stories from Recode

The company that builds the robots that make Teslas wants to build home robots.

In less than 10 years, the market for domestic robots is expected to grow to $4.4 billion

Europe plans to have drone rules in place by 2019.

The EU says fragmented drone rules between countries hampers innovation.

Drivers have filed a lawsuit against New York ride-hail player Juno for securities fraud.

Juno promised drivers equity. When it got acquired by Gett, the equity program was extinguished.

Social Capital has hired Tony Bates to run its new growth unit.

More expansion from the venture investment firm.

Twitter is running another TV commercial.

This one features Chance the Rapper, and gives people an example of why they should use Twitter.

How to keep Amazon from eating your business, too.

The tech giants are aggressively moving into traditional businesses at the same time as legacy brands are going through digital transformation.

This is cool

Jeff Bezos’s email to employees on Amazon’s purchase of Whole Foods

“The combination of our two companies will account for over 85% of all hipster purchases in the United States. I’m looking forward to capturing the remaining 15%.” [Ryan Garcia / McSweeney’s]

This article originally appeared on

Sign up for the newsletter Today, Explained

Understand the world with a daily explainer plus the most compelling stories of the day.