Samsung, along with federal regulators, on Thursday formally recalled the company’s Galaxy Note 7, whose batteries have been linked to fires and explosions.
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, there have been 92 incidents of the phones overheating in the U.S. among the million devices that have been sold here.
“Samsung has received 92 reports of the batteries overheating in the U.S., including 26 reports of burns and 55 reports of property damage, including fires in cars and a garage,” the CPSC said in a statement.
Consumers have the option of a refund or a replacement device with a new battery, the agency said. Samsung is offering customers $25 extra if they stick with either a new Note 7 or opt to exchange their phone for a Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge.
Samsung said on Thursday that replacement devices should be available at most retail locations no later than Sept. 21. At least one carrier had already received replacement units but that that carrier had been told to hold off on distributing them until the recall was officially announced, according to a source at the carrier.
Samsung had already been promising to replace all Galaxy Note 7 devices sold globally, but the formal recall is important since many Galaxy Note 7 owners have continued to use their devices despite warnings from Samsung and government agencies.
According to Apteligent, usage of the Note 7 held steady in the days following Samsung’s Sept. 2 announcement that it was halting shipments amid reports of an explosion risk. Only in the past day did usage numbers start to drop significantly, Apteligent Chief Strategy Officer Andrew Levy told Recode.
This article originally appeared on Recode.net.