On Monday morning, it happened again: There was a mass shooting at a Florida nightclub.
The shooting this time was reportedly at an event for teens, killing at least two teenagers and wounding at least 19 people. The victims ranged in age from 12 to 27.
Details of the attack are still early and developing. But here’s what we know and don’t know, based on information released in news reports and by law enforcement so far.
What we know
- At 12:30 am, police were called into Club Blu, finding "several victims suffering from gunshot wounds," according to the New York Times.
- Authorities estimate at least one shooter killed two teenagers and wounded at least 19 more people. The victims’ ages range from 12 to 27.
- Police identified the two dead victims as 14-year-old Sean Archilles and 18-year-old Stef’An Strawder.
At least 20 cop cars on scene. Working to get info. Believed to be connected to shooting at Club Blu.@Fox4Now pic.twitter.com/eTJRky63TY— Stephanie Tinoco (@stinocoTV) July 25, 2016
- Police have detained three people, but it’s not clear whether they were involved in the shooting.
- Police said the shooting was not an "act of terror," although it’s not clear how they came to that determination.
update #3 on Club Blu shooting from the @fortmyerspolice #fortmyers #florida pic.twitter.com/OVebbSOd49— City of Fort Myers (@cityftmyers) July 25, 2016
- On Sunday evening, shortly before the shooting, the club was hosting a "Swimsuit Glow Party" specifically targeted for teens.
The shooting in Ft. Myers Florida has 17 children shot at this teen night. #ClubBlu pic.twitter.com/fNtk78o6Vh— Demo Crat (@BlueStaterDemoc) July 25, 2016
- The club said in a now-deleted Facebook post that the shooting began shortly after the event, as teens, children, and their parents left.
- "We are deeply sorry for all involved," the club said in the deleted Facebook post. "We tried to give the teens what we thought was a safe place to have a good time."
- The attack comes more than one month after the Orlando, Florida, mass shooting — the deadliest in US history — at a gay nightclub.
What we don’t know
- Who the shooter or shooters were
- What the shooter’s or shooters’ motives were. Police told Fox News that the shooting was potentially gang-related, but this is not yet confirmed.
- The final casualty count
- Whether police have apprehended the shooter or shooters