The last day of the Republican National Convention is in session, and while Donald Trump is the headliner, we're most interested in hearing from Peter Thiel, the billionaire tech investor. We're assuming Thiel will be speaking around 9:30 pm ET, but if we get a better sense of timing we'll update that here. Once he does start, you can follow along on the liveblog below.
And in the meantime, here's some suggested reading to get you up to speed on Thiel, his background, and what his appearance tonight means — and doesn't mean — for Silicon Valley and the tech industry.
- Peter Thiel is a very odd character, even by Silicon Valley standards," says Recode's Kara Swisher.
- Noah Kulwin has a quick companion piece that lays out Thiel's beliefs.
- Every time I read [of Thiel’s support for Trump], I typically check the calendar because I’m not completely sure it’s not April 1," says Thiel's friend and PayPal cofounder Max Levchin.
- Inc.'s Jeff Bercovici has a dark theory about Thiel's support for Trump: "He believes it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to weaken America's attachment to democratic government."
- And this 2011 George Packer piece from the New Yorker remains the definitive Thiel profile.
See you soon!
This article originally appeared on Recode.net.