clock menu more-arrow no yes

Samsung is telling everyone to power down their Galaxy Note 7s

It’s not a second recall (yet), but it may as well be.

Consumer Product Safety Commission Announces Recall Of Samsung's New Galaxy Note 7 Photo by George Frey/Getty Images

Samsung and U.S. safety regulators on Monday both urged Galaxy Note 7 owners, whether they have an original or a replacement device, to power down their device and return it for a refund or a different type of phone.

The Korean phone maker also said it was again halting sales globally of the Note 7 after several reports that the supposedly safe replacement phones were catching fire.

While not yet issuing a formal recall, Samsung and U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission chairman Elliot Kaye also called on consumers to stop using all Note 7 phones.

“No one should have to be concerned their phone will endanger them, their family or their property,” Kaye said in a statement.

Kaye praised Samsung and the wireless carriers that have stopped selling and exchanging the devices.

“While we continue our active investigation into reports of phones overheating and burning in multiple states, consumers should power down and stop using all Galaxy Note 7s,” he said. “This is the safest course of action.”

Samsung, meanwhile, confirmed Monday it had “adjusted” its production schedule for the Note 7 and later in the day confirmed the global sales halt and urged those with a replacement device to turn it off pending the results of its investigation.

All four major U.S. carriers had already stopped exchanging the Note 7 ahead of Samsung’s move.

In all likelihood, this means the end of the Galaxy Note 7, at least in the U.S., as it seems improbable that consumers or those who sell phones would take a chance on a third version of the phone.

This article originally appeared on Recode.net.