Online education, sports tech, Uber and VR gaming all raised money this week. Here’s what went down:
- Uber usually raises money in an instant, but getting the cash together for its China-specific funding round took longer than usual. This week, Uber closed the round, raising about $1 billion.
- The largest food delivery startup in China, Ele.me, raised $630 million in a Series F funding round led by CITC Capital and the supermarket company Hualian, with additional funding from Sequoia Capital, JD.com and Tencent (Tech in Asia).
- The private equity firm Silver Lake is taking a $300 million stake in Fanatics, the popular digital retailer of jerseys and other sports apparel. Previous investors in Fanatics include Andreessen Horowitz, Alibaba and Insight Venture Partners (Fortune).
- ServiceMax, a cloud-based software firm that helps companies manage their field service teams, closed an $82 million Series F round led by PremjiInvest, with GE, PTC and Salesforce.com participating.
- The biggest demand for online education courses isn’t in the U.S. — it’s coming from abroad. Coursera’s new $49.5 million funding round is mostly intended to support expansion in international markets including Latin America, China and elsewhere. (VentureBeat).
- Peter Thiel’s Founders Fund led a $33.5 million investment in Modumetal, a company that works on “growing high performance metals” a little like the layers of wood in a tree. Chevron Technology Ventures, BP Ventures and ConocoPhillips also contributed to the round (Fortune).
- Resolution Games, a Swedish VR gaming company led by former executives of the Candy Crush maker King, raised a $6 million round led by Google Ventures.
- Mobile payments and security startup MagicCube raised $2.2 million in seed funding from Epic Ventures, Azure Capital, Bialla Venture Partners and others (Businesswire).
- CB Insights, a firm that tracks and analyzes data on venture capital investments, landed $1.15 million from the National Science Foundation (Xconomy).
This article originally appeared on Recode.net.