A new Quinnipiac University poll shows Hillary Clinton coasting to a crushing victory in a three-way race against Bernie Sanders and Joe Biden, winning 45 percent of the vote, compared with 22 for Sanders and 18 for Biden.
And the good news for Clinton doesn't stop there.
- The poll shows Clinton beating Jeb Bush head to head.
- The poll shows Clinton beating Marco Rubio head to head.
- The poll shows Clinton beating Donald Trump head to head.
- The poll shows Clinton winning in a landslide in scenarios where Trump runs as an independent.
- The poll did not test Clinton against Scott Walker or other possible nominees.
So how did the media report this poll showing that if the election were held this week Hillary Clinton would win? Well, as bad news for Hillary Clinton!
- Bloomberg: "Biden More Competitive Than Clinton Against Leading Republicans: Poll"
- Politico: "Poll: Biden outperforms Hillary in general election; Trump leads GOP field"
- Time: "Voters open to Joe Biden presidential bid in new poll"
Two things are happening here. One is that "Clinton is still winning" is a boring headline, so there's a tendency to grasp at straws to come up with something else. The other is that the press as a whole doesn't like Clinton very much (and the feeling is mutual), so there's a bias toward believing that the public feels the same way. So somehow her campaign is struggling even when it's winning, and polls that show her winning are reported as showing her losing.