This week, Ezra Klein, Matt Yglesias, and I discuss the flaws in DC elites' favorite idea, raising the retirement age; consider how to respond to terrorist attacks (with a bonus digression about 19th-century anarchist assassins); and debate a striking new data set that shows the baffling variation in how frequently different hospitals perform C-sections rather than traditional childbirths.
As always, you can subscribe to The Weeds on iTunes, rate us there, and reach out with feedback at email@example.com. A small programming note: The Weeds will be off for the Thanksgiving next week, and will return a week from Friday, on December 4. Enjoy the holiday!
- Read more on the 1980s budget deal that raised the retirement age
- Gallup: Average retirement age rises to 62
- The Elizabeth Warren speech Matt referenced
- Where presidential candidates stand on raising the retirement age
- NYT: A refugee crisis in Lebanon hides in plain sight
- Vox: Obama's biggest terrorism struggle — how to sell "don't do stupid shit" as a strategy
- Vox: Why ISIS would attack Paris, according to one expert
- Bruce Schneier on terrorism as a "crime against the mind"
- Erick Erickson said he was too afraid to see Star Wars on opening night because of terrorism
- Vox: New Jersey cities have some of the highest C-section rates. What about yours?
- Atul Gawande on C-sections