On this week's episode of The Weeds, fellow Vox editor Dylan Matthews joins Matt Yglesias and me for what is certainly the most in-depth discussion of basic income ever broadcast. Would it really work to just give all Americans a base salary, regardless of whether they were employed? Also on this episode: a recap of the best policy tussles in the Republican debate and a fascinating white paper on why colleges don't punish cheaters — even when they get caught.
- Read Dylan's greatest hits on basic income here, here, and here. He's a huge celebrity on basicincome.org.
- The Oregon health study, explained
- Jeb Bush's ad on "taking care of business"
- Philosophy majors actually do earn more than welders
- The NBER paper on cheating (and Libby Nelson's excellent piece on it)