Here are some shining rays of content in an otherwise bleak and desolate world, brought to you by Re/code:
- Yesterday, public intellectual Nassim “Black Swan” Taleb got into an argument with @ProfJeffJarvis, apparently unaware that the Twitter account was a parody Twitter account, and not the real Jeff Jarvis. Then the real Jeff Jarvis joined the conversation. I made a Storify of the whole thing.
- The team at Vox put together a nifty video explaining how the Discovery Channel’s “Shark Week” has morphed from a series of fun, benign nature documentaries into a seven day extravaganza of junk science.
- Congress: It’s dysfunctional, unpopular and thoroughly incompetent. But why? One intrepid Mother Jones writer looked to the stars and found some possible explanations in the Zodiac.
- What would happen if Ebola really did come to the United States? If you’re not too afraid to look, the Atlantic has some answers.
- Bosses are mostly terrible (except for mine, of course), and they make you do terrible things in service of “workplace morale” or “building a habitable office environment.” The Guardian rounded up a collection of disastrous team-bonding efforts, including karaoke at a brothel.
If you see any stories you’d like to send our way (or have any questions/comments about stories we’ve recommended), feel free to shoot an email to email@example.com.
This article originally appeared on Recode.net.