The Sony film at the center of a devastating corporate attack that led to its theatrical cancellation will eventually see the light of day.
The studio’s holiday feature “The Interview” will be released, David Boies, the studio’s lawyer, said in an interview on NBC’s “Meet the Press” Sunday.
“Sony has been fighting to get this picture distributed. It will be distributed,” he told NBC’s Chuck Todd, adding the studio is still trying to determine the best distribution outlet that would also ensure people’s safety.
“What Sony is trying to do is to get the picture out to the public but at the same time to be sure the rights of its employees and the rights of the movie-going public are going to be protected,” he said.
The film — a Seth Rogen farce about a pair of bumbling journalists enlisted by the CIA to assassinate North Korea leader Kim Jong-un — was canceled after the reclusive nation ordered a hacking attack on the studio that culminated in threats of violence on theatergoers.
After cinema owners canceled screenings of the film, originally set to debut Dec. 25, Sony pulled the film, a move President Obama called a mistake in his year-end press conference on Friday.
In Sony’s response, studio chief Michael Lynton said the president didn’t seem to understand that the company doesn’t own any theaters. Sony has contacted online distributors but none of them have so far agreed to release the film out of fear they would also be attacked, he said. The company needs a partner since it doesn’t have its own distribution platform, according to Lynton, even though Sony does own Crackle, an online streaming service.
The hackers, calling themselves the Guardians of Peace, released another note Friday, which read, “The result of investigation by FBI is so excellent that you might have seen what we were doing with your own eyes.” The note included a link to a YouTube video, titled “you are an idiot.”
Here’s the Boies interview on NBC’s “Meet the Press”:
This article originally appeared on Recode.net.