Following the grand jury's decision on November 24 to not indict Ferguson, Missouri, police officer Darren Wilson for shooting and killing Michael Brown, St. Louis County Attorney Robert McCulloch released all the evidence presented to the grand jury.
Within that evidence is the clearest insight we have yet into Wilson's side of the story. Throughout, the police officer, who is reportedly in talks with his department to resign, used language that painted the black teen, a recent high school graduate who had been preparing to start college when he died, as a mindless brute — a giant capable of murdering him with a single punch. He compared himself to a small child in Brown's presence.
This characterization of Brown seemed to have worked — the law says police officers can use deadly force if they have a reasonable belief that their lives or the lives of others are in danger, even it it's not actually the case.
Here are 11 outtakes from the photographic evidence, Wilson's initial interview with a detective, and testimony to the grand jury, that give an insight into Wilson's story and his portrayal of Brown on the stand.
1) Wilson compared Brown to WWE wrestler Hulk Hogan
2) Despite the Hulk Hogan vs. a five-year-old comparison, Wilson isn't much shorter than Brown, who was 6 feet 5 inches and 289 pounds
3) Wilson claimed Brown told him he was "too much of a pussy to shoot"
4) Wilson claimed Brown charged at him through gunfire
5) Wilson felt "manipulated" during the initial encounter
6) Wilson said he realized Brown was the robbery suspect after the initial stop
7) Wilson thought Brown could punch him to death or unconsciousness
8) Brown's attacks left some marks on Wilson's face and neck
JUST IN: Newly released photos of Officer Darren Wilson's injuries, presented to the grand jury pic.twitter.com/nqmUDKLmpv— CBS Evening News (@CBSEveningNews) November 25, 2014
9) Wilson said Brown posed a threat to himself and others
10) Wilson didn't carry a Taser because it's uncomfortable
11) Wilson carried mace and an ASP (baton), but he deemed both ineffective
To learn more about the Brown shooting and the legal issues surrounding it, read Vox's explainer and watch the two-minute video below: